The USA Has Advanced to the Tournament Quarterfinals Along with Panama;
Gyasi Zardes and Aaron Long Score Two Goals Apiece, Long’s Are First of His MNT Career;
Christian Pulisic and Paul Arriola Log Goals as Zack Steffen Records Second Straight Shutout;
USA Finishes Group Play vs. Panama in Kansas City on June 26 at 9 p.m. ET (FS1, UniMas, UDN)
CLEVELAND (June 22, 2019) – The U.S. Men’s National Team recorded its largest ever margin of victory against Trinidad & Tobago with a 6-0 victory before 23,921 at FirstEnergy Stadium to book a spot in the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup Quarterfinals. Gyasi Zardes and Aaron Long scored two goals apiece, Christian Pulisic and Paul Arriola also tallied goals, while Zack Steffen and the U.S. defense kept a second consecutive clean sheet in an impressive result that also tied the U.S. MNT’s largest ever margin of victory in a Gold Cup game.
The USA (2-0-0; 6pts) sits tied atop Group D with a superior goal difference to Panama (2-0-0; 6pts), which defeated Guyana 4-2 in the day’s earlier game. Group D action will conclude at Children’s Mercy Park in Kansas City on Wednesday with the USA and Panama going head to head for first place in the final group standings. Kickoff for USA-Panama is set for 9 p.m. ET and the game will be broadcast on FS1 and UniMas.
2019 GOLD CUP – GROUP D STANDINGS
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
USA – Aaron Long (Christian Pulisic), 41st minute: The USA collected the ball after it hit the wall during a free kick just outside the box and played it wide left to Pulisic. The young attacker created space near the corner of the 18-yard box to lift a cross to the back right post where Long headed the ball down, bouncing it off the Trinidad goalkeeper on its way into the net. USA 1, TRI 0 [WATCH]
USA – Gyasi Zardes (Nick Lima), 66th minute: Michael Bradley began the scoring sequence with a chipped pass to the overlapping Lima who sent a diving header through the six yard box for a crashing Zardes to guide home. USA 2, TRI 0 [WATCH]
USA – Gyasi Zardes (Christian Pulisic), 69th minute: Moments after Steffen made a big save, the USA broke out with Pulisic carrying the ball upfield before cutting inside and slipping Zardes into the left side of the box where he took a touch to settle the ball and then curled a shot over Philip into the far side netting. USA 3, TRI 0 [WATCH]
USA – Christian Pulisic (Jordan Morris), 73th minute: Jordan Morris, who came on in the second half for Tyler Boyd, intercepted a Trinidad outlet pass and dribbled into the right side of the area before weaving through traffic and picking out an unmarked Pulisic. With only the keeper to beat, Pulisic let Phillip make the first move before cooly passing the ball into the right side of the goal. USA 4, TRI 0 [WATCH]
USA – Paul Arriola (Jordan Morris), 78th minute: Moments after entering the match for Zardes, Jozy Altidore played Morris into the box with a lovely flicked pass between two Trinidad defenders. Morris had only to pick up his head and center the ball to an awaiting Arriola who tapped it home from close range. USA 5, TRI 0 [WATCH]
USA – Aaron Long, 90th minute: A blast straight on goal from Weston McKennie was saved by Phillip, who went to ground on the shot, while the ball popped into the air. Tracking its flight, Long was able to beat a defender to the ball and chest it over the line with the final touch of the contest.USA 6, TRI 0 FINAL
- The USMNT’s win combined with Panama’s 4-2 victory against Guyana earlier in the day sees both teams advance to the knockout round. The USA would finish first in Group D with a win or draw against Panama in Wednesday’s Group D finale in Kansas City.
- With goals in the 63rd and 69th minutes, Gyasi Zardes tallied his second career brace and took his all-time total to 10. Zardes has a team-leading four goals in 2019 and three in his last two matches.
- Christian Pulisic provided assists on Long’s opener and Zardes’ second goal before adding one of his own in the 63rd minute. The 20-year-old now has 11 goals and eight assists in 27 caps.
- Aaron Long’s 41st minute goal was the first of his international career.
- Making his team-leading eighth appearance of 2019, Paul Arriola scored his third goal of year and second in as many matches.
- Nick Lima registered his second assist of 2019 and first in Concacaf Gold Cup play on Zardes’ first goal.
- USMNT head coach Gregg Berhalter utilized the same starting XI that began Tuesday’s 4-0 win against Guyana, marking just the second instance all-time the USA has used the same lineup in back-to-back Gold Cup group stage matches.
- The Starting XI had an average age of 25 years, 288 days and 29 caps.
- Goalkeeper Zack Steffen became the seventh different player to captain the side in its eight matches this year. The 24-year old made three saves to keep his second-straight clean sheet and fifth of his career.
- Long and Zimmerman partnered in central defense for the fourth time in 2019, with the pairing yet to concede a goal.
- Substitute Jozy Altidore made his 112th appearance, moving into a tie with Claudio Reyna for ninth on the USMNT’s all-time caps list.
- The 6-0 win is the USMNT’s biggest margin of victory against Trinidad & Tobago in 25 all-time meetings.
- The USMNT is 19-3-4 all-time against Trinidad & Tobago, 14-0-1 on home soil and 4-0-0 in Concacaf Gold Cup play.
- The USMNT is 34-1-4 all-time in the Gold Cup Group Stage.
– U.S. MEN’S NATIONAL TEAM MATCH REPORT –
Match: U.S. Men’s National Team vs. Trinidad & Tobago
Date: June 22, 2019
Competition: 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup – Group D
Venue: FirstEnergy Stadium; Cleveland, Ohio
Kickoff: 8 p.m. ET
Weather: 69 degrees; sunny
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
USA 1 5 6
TRI 0 0 0
USA – Aaron Long (Christian Pulisic) 41st minute
USA – Gyasi Zardes (Nick Lima) 66
USA – Gyasi Zardes (Christian Pulisic) 69
USA – Christian Pulisic (Jordan Morris) 73
USA – Paul Arriola (Jordan Morris) 78
USA – Aaron Long 90
USA: 1-Zack Steffen (capt.); 2-Nick Lima (14-Reggie Cannon, 84), 5-Walker Zimmerman, 23-Aaron Long, 13-Tim Ream; 4-Michael Bradley; 8-Weston McKennie, 10-Christian Pulisic; 21-Tyler Boyd (11-Jordan Morris, 61), 9-Gyasi Zardes (17-Jozy Altidore, 74), 7-Paul Arriola
Substitutes not used: 12-Sean Johnson, 22-Tyler Miller, 3-Omar Gonzalez, 6-Wil Trapp, 15-Cristian Roldan, 16-Daniel Lovitz, 18-Jonathan Lewis, 19-Matt Miazga, 20-Djordje Mihailovic
Head Coach: Gregg Berhalter
TRI: 1-Marvin Phillip; 16-Alvin Jones, 5-Daneil Cyrus, 2-Aubrey David, 4-Neveal Hackshaw; 8-Khaleem Hyland (capt.) (10-Kevin Molino, 17), 19-Kevan George; 13-Nathan Lewis (3-Joevin Jones, 67), 23-Leston Paul, 7-Cordell Cato; 11-Levi Garcia (18-Lester Peltier, 77)
Substitutes not used: 21-Gregory Ranjitsingh, 22-Adrian Foncette, 6-Duane Muckette, 9-Shahdon Winchester, 12-Carlyle Mitchell, 14-Akeem Humphrey, 15-Curtis Gonzales, 17-Mekeil Williams, 20-Jomal Williams
Head coach: Dennis Lawrence
Stats Summary: USA / TRI
Shots: 27 / 9
Shots on Goal: 12 / 3
Saves: 3 / 6
Corner Kicks: 6 / 2
Fouls: 16 / 15
Offside: 2 / 0
TRI – Alvin Jones (caution) 39th minute
TRI – Daneil Cyrus (caution) 58
USA – Weston McKennie (caution) 58
TRI – Joevin Jones (caution) 86
Referee: Said Martinez (HON)
Assistant Referee 1: Walter Lopez Ramos (HON)
Assistant Referee 2: Helpys Feliz (DOM)
4th Official: Ismael Cornejo (SLV)
ussoccer.com Man of the Match: Christian Pulisic